The Gypsy's Lady

This little "gem" was written way back when I was in Grade 10, I want to say late 1999 or early 2000. Apparently it won 2nd place in a class poetry contest.
Yikes! That shows how old I'm getting...

The Gypsy's Lady

A freeborn man
Was the gypsy rover
With his horse and dog
He roamed all over
With a smiling face and dusty shoes
He walked the country lanes and byways
He travelled over hill and dale
He was the "lord of the highways"

One day he spied a great castle
And in it a lady fair
Her beauty captured his heart
Her noble face and long golden hair
He brought her wild flowers
And wooed her with his smile
They took long walks in the woods
And talked mile after mile

The days were filled with winde and roses
And picnics on the open ground
They danced in the silver moolight
And there, they, love found
The lady had a rich father
Whoose nobility was his pride
His name was spoken of highly
He was known of far and wide

He said he would never agree
To this love she cherished
She threatened to run, because
Without his love, she'd perish
So with her loving gypsy rover
She left her mansion gate
She'd choose the gypsy's poor life
That would be her fate.

Her upset and angry father
Saddled his fastest steed
He raced through the country
At break-neck speed
The loss of his daughter
Brought him great fear
For his harsh, angry words
He shed a silent tear.

The gypsy and his fair lady
Found friends in the dale
They laughed by the campfire
And heard many a tale
With each new day
They would pack their load
Their lover greeted the morning
And went with them down the road

I was a dark evening
When the nobleman arrived
At the happy lovers' campsite
And then his anger thrived
"You choose a poor gypsy
You, who are a lady fine
He is far beneath you
You'll not marry swine!"

"He is no gypsy my father
But 'lord of freelands' all over
His lover brings me so much joy
And I'll marry my gypsy rover"
A silent tear rolled down her cheek
And she said, "I'll have my way.
I love you, my dear father
But with my gypsy I'll stay"
                     MReinink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My dear child

#Angelbabies #Mothersday