Remembrance Day

Remember

We wait in eagerness
Guns in hand
But the time has come
For us to stand
Look at my face
Do not turn away
Think of us all
Remember this day
We go on a journey
Though most won’t return
In your heart and your mind
May this image burn
We fight as one
One reason, one goal
Dirt on our hands
Faces streaked with coal
Some lie in trenches
Mud up to the waist
Rubbing hands on their cheeks
To warm up their face
Some have been captured
Tortured and shamed
Herded like sheep
No reference to name
Others fly above us
To lend us support
Though some have fallen
None will abort
Bombs are exploding
And bullets fly past
I give you this picture
Cause it may be my last
This letter I write
To tell of times at war
But remember again
The way I was before
Remember us joking
Laughing so hard we could cry
For that freedom we fight
And are willing to die
Melynda Reinink
(Printed in the Dunnville Chronicle for Remembrance Day, 2005)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My dear child

#Angelbabies #Mothersday